Foreign Policy: World's Strongest Force
for Peace, Freedom and Prosperity
Promoting Peace and Strengthening Democracy
- Advancing peace in the Middle East by brokering peace
agreements between Israel and its neighbors, including the Palestinians and
Jordan; negotiating the Wye River Accords; supporting the launch of final
settlement negotiations between the Israelis and Palestinians; and revitalizing
peace talks between the Syrians and Israelis.
- Ended a decade of repression and reversed ethnic cleansing in
Kosovo by leading NATO alliance to victory in 79-day air war against Serb
forces, forcing their withdrawal, ushering in international peacekeepers, and
launching the Stability Pact to strengthen democracy, prosperity and
integration throughout the Balkans.
- Helped broker the Good Friday Peace Accord in Northern
Ireland, ending decades of bloodshed and empowering the people of Northern
Ireland to determine their future.
- Led diplomatic efforts to end the civil war and foster
multi-ethnic democracy in Bosnia.
- Restored democracy in Haiti, ending military dictatorship and
stopping refugee flows.
- Supporting transitions to democracy in South Africa, Nigeria and
Indonesia, and mediating peace efforts in the Democratic Republic of the
Congo, the Central African Republic, Sierra Leone, and Ethiopia-Eritrea.
- Helped end violence and protected democracy in East Timor by
leading diplomatic efforts and supporting international peacekeeping mission.
- Helped settle the Peru-Ecuador border dispute and end civil
war in Guatemala.
- Pressing for human rights and religious freedom worldwide, including
in China, Burma and Sudan.
- Protecting Americans from weapons of mass destruction by
working to reduce Russian nuclear arsenals through START, eliminating nuclear
weapons from Ukraine, Belarus and Kazakhstan, easing nuclear tensions between
India and Pakistan, signing the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty, and
achieving the indefinite extension of the Non-Proliferation Treaty and
ratification of the Chemical Weapons Convention.
- Enhancing military stability in Europe by successfully
concluding the adapted Conventional Armed Forces in Europe Treaty.
- Combating terrorism by developing a national counter-terrorism
strategy, appointing a national coordinator and striking terrorist targets in
Afghanistan and Sudan.
- Waging war on drugs by intensifying interdiction efforts,
strengthening cooperation with allies, cracking down on drug lords and seeking
$1.3 billion in assistance for Colombia.
- Reducing North Korean threat through deterrence, including the
forward deployment of 37,000 U.S. troops; diplomacy, including bilateral talks
leading to a moratorium on long-range missile testing; and non-proliferation,
including the eventual dismantling of North Korea's dangerous nuclear
- Containing Iraq through deterrence, economic sanctions, over
$20 billion in humanitarian assistance for the Iraqi people from the
oil-for-food program, and support for popular opposition to Saddam
- Addressing new threats by protecting America's critical
infrastructure from cyber-terrorism and biological and chemical weapons.
- Development of a limited national missile defense to protect
against attacks from states that threaten international peace and security
while preserving strategic stability with Russia.
- Strengthening military readiness and modernizing our armed
Strengthening Alliances and Building Partnerships
- Fulfilling vision of an undivided, democratic and peaceful
Europe by enlarging NATO, integrating Southeast Europe, and strengthening
our partnership with Russia.
- Building a more constructive relationship with China through
engagement and frank dialogue, leading to cooperation on non-proliferation and
regional security, environmental protection.
- Deepening security alliance with Japan through adoption of
Defense Guidelines and Joint Security Declaration.
- Strengthening cooperation with South Korea through jointly
offered Four Party Peace Talks with North Korea and the establishment of
Trilateral Consultation and Oversight Group to coordinate North Korea policy.
- Secured landmark agreements to develop oil and gas pipelines from
the Caspian Sea to the Mediterranean Sea, strengthening ties in the region
and ensuring Americans have continued access to vital natural resources.
- Expanding trade and strengthening democracy in Asia and Latin
America through the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation forum and the Summit
of the Americas.
- Strengthening ties with Africa by launching the new
Partnership for Economic Growth and Opportunity, achieving passage of the
African Growth and Opportunity Act, and supporting the Africa Crisis Response
Initiative and other regional peacekeeping efforts.
- Preserved U.S. leadership role at the United Nations by
reaching agreement with Congress that would enable us to pay $1 billion in back
- Opening markets for U.S. exports abroad and creating American
jobs through NAFTA, GATT and nearly 300 other free and fair trade
- Integrating China into the world economy through landmark
agreement for China's entry into the World Trade Organization that opens
markets to U.S. exports, slashes Chinese tariffs, and protects American workers
- Established World Trade Organization to reduce tariffs, settle
trade disputes, and enforce rules.
- Reduced the possibility that a future Asian financial crisis would
undermine America's prosperity by promoting structural reform --
including sound monetary policies, urging banking reforms and fighting
- Stimulating worldwide growth through support for the IMF and
G-8 global economic strategy.
- Assisted Mexico's economic recovery with $20 billion in
emergency support loans.
- Forgave $500 million in African debt, announced initiative to
link debt relief to health and education investments, and forged agreement
among G-8 industrialized countries to provide additional debt relief.
[National Security Council]