| || |
CHARTER OF THE
PRESIDENT'S COMMITTEE OF ADVISORS
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
- COMMITTEE'S OFFICIAL DESIGNATION: President's Committee of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST).
- AUTHORITY: Executive Order No. 12882, as amended by Executive Orders12974 and 13062.
- OBJECTIVES, SCOPE OF ACTIVITIES, AND DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES FOR WHICHTHE COMMITTEE IS RESPONSIBLE: The duties of PCAST are solely advisory.PCAST shall advise the President, through the Assistant to the Presidentfor Science and Technology, on matters involving science and technology.In the performance of its advisory duties, PCAST shall assist the NationalScience and Technology Council (NSTC) in securing private sector involvementin its activities.
- OFFICIAL TO WHOM THE COMMITTEE REPORTS: PCAST shall report to thePresident through the Assistant to the President for Science and Technology.
- DURATION AND TERMINATION DATE: PCAST shall terminate 2 years fromthe date of its Executive Order unless extended prior to that date.
- AGENCY RESPONSIBLE FOR PROVIDING NECESSARY SUPPORT: The Office ofScience and Technology Policy shall provide financial and administrativesupport.
- MEMBERSHIP: The President shall appoint not more than 18 members,one of whom shall be the Assistant to the President for Science and Technologyand 16 of whom shall be distinguished individuals from the nonfederal sector.PCAST members shall serve without any compensation for their work on PCAST.However, members may be allowed travel expenses, including per diem inlieu of subsistence, as authorized by law for persons serving intermittentlyin the government service.
- ESTIMATE ANNUAL OPERATING COSTS AND STAFF SUPPORT YEARS: It is estimatedthat the total annual costs of operations will not exceed $200,000. Fulltime equivalent staff support years are is expected to be approximatelyone year of effort.
- NUMBER OF MEETINGS: PCAST shall meet as it deems necessary to complete its functions.
- SUBCOMMITTEES: In consultation with the Assistant to the Presidentfor Science and Technology, PCAST is authorized to convene ad hoc workinggroups to assist the NSTC.
- CHAIRPERSON: The President shall designate a Chairperson from amongthe nonfederal sector PCAST members to co-Chair PCAST with the Assistantto the President for Science and Technology.
- DATE CHARTER FILED: July 15, 1998.
President's Committee of Advisors
on Science and Technology
1600 Pennsylvania Ave, N.W.
Washington, DC 20502
President and First Lady | Vice President and Mrs. Gore
Record of Progress | The Briefing Room
Gateway to Government | Contacting the White House
White House for Kids | White House History
White House Tours | Help | Text Only