| || |
"Travel, in the younger sort, is a part of
education; in the elder, a part of experience."
- Forecasts for cities and regions in map format from the NOAA
Network Information Center.
- Current weather
- from the National Hurricane
- Current satellite maps, state-by-state forecasts and bulletins,
earthquake and tropical storm information, and Canadian weather forecasts via
gopher from the University of Michigan.
- from the National
Earthquake Information Center
- National Park Service
- Information on National Parks organized by
park name, by
region, and by
- USDA Forest Service
- The Forest Service is charged with maintaining "America's Great
Outdoors. Information available includes instructions on
campsites, as well as details on resources and recreational opportunities
for each National Forest and Grassland. This data is accessible by clickable
or by forest or grassland
- Federal Consumer Information Center
- Order travel-related publications direct from Uncle Sam at reasonable prices.
Place an order for printed copies of many of these publications here or you can freely view the text for these publications online as noted below:
- Discover America: A Listing of State and Territorial Travel Offices of the United States.
- Use this list to order free vacation information including maps, calendars of events, travel guides, and more.
- Practical advice for airline travelers on how to get the best fares and what to do when faced with lost tickets and baggage, canceled or overbooked flights, travel scams, and much more.
- Fly Smart.
- Lists more than 30 things you can do to help make your flight a safe one. Includes a passenger checklist.
- Travel Tips for Older Americans.
- This booklet provides advice to help you plan a safe and healthy trip and to make your trip the exciting, memorable event it should be.
- Foreign Entry Requirements.
- Embassy and consulate addresses where visas may be obtained along with any special requirements.
- National Park System Map and Guide.
- This full color map lists activities at over 300 parks, monuments, and historic sites.
- National Trails System Map and Guide.
- This full color map describes eight national scenic trails and nine national historic trails.
- Lesser Known Areas of the National Park System.
- Listing by state of more than 170 national parks, their accommodations, locations, and historical significance.
- Passports: Applying for Them the Easy Way.
- How, when, and where to apply for U.S. passports. Includes information on fees.
- New Horizons for the Air Traveler with a Disability.
- Describes accommodations, facilities, and services that are required to be available and accessible.
- National Wildlife Refuges: A Visitor's Guide.
- A full color map showing the best viewing seasons and recreational and educational opportunities at nearly 400 wildlife refuges nationwide.
- Mapping Products from the U.S. Geological Survey.
- Includes information on topographic, satellite image and thematic maps.
State Department Travel Warnings and Consular Information Sheets
- Travel Warnings are issued by the
U.S. Department of State to recommend that
Americans avoid travel to a certain country. Consular Information
Sheets are available on every country in the world and include
information such as the location of the U.S. embassy or consulate, health
conditions, unusual currency and entry regulations, and other important
information. The State Department also provides on-line information on
traveling overseas. Pamphlets of practical travel tips can be ordered from the
Travel Tips and
Information page at minimal costs.
- From the Federal Research Division of the Library of Congress, each
of these books deal with a particular foreign country.
The 1995 CIA World Fact Book
- Information on every country in the world, prepared by the U.S.
Government for use by U.S. Government officials. Sources include (among others)
the CIA, Department of State, and the Foreign Broadcast Information
- U.S. Information Agency
- Educational and Cultural Exchanges including the Fulbright program.
President and First Lady | Vice President and Mrs. Gore
Record of Progress | The Briefing Room
Gateway to Government | Contacting the White House
White House for Kids | White House History
White House Tours | Help | Text Only